Friday, May 9, 2008

Making Silver Chains by Glen F. Waszek

I was looking at my vast library of jewellery making books and was making an effort to choose the one I feel I've enjoyed the most. Making Silver Chains jumped out of the shelf saying pick me! pick me! It does stand out amongst the others as being a very well written resource. It has excellent photos and step by step instructions on each of the 28 projects plus a how-to of 4 types of fasteners. The tutorials are sorted into sections - Trace Chains - Curb Chains - The Idiot's Delight and Other Circular Link Chains - Loop-in-Loop Chains - Fancy Link Chains. They all involve soldering, so if you are looking for a book demonstrating chains where soldering is not involved this book definitely will not interest you.

The book features a gallery of work, and it has the mandatory techniques, materials and tools section. I must say that it does have some interesting techniques shown.

All in all I think this is an excellent book, very well written and with thorough descriptions. I can't think of anything negative to say about this book. It has been in my collection for quite a few years and used quite often. Highly recommended!

I have added a small collection of pages from Making Silver Chains, also a photo of a bracelet I made from The Basic Curb Chain tutorial. I was very pleased with the finished piece.






No comments: